Saturday, June 12, 2010

A best friend's wedding and graduation--all rolled into one hectic week. When I left after school, teachers and students alike wished me a 'happy vacation'. It was an enjoyable week, but far from a vacation!

My trip was supposed to start as soon as the two students I had for testing were through--at 9:30. But, the other teacher (who had in her classroom: 1 infant, 1 toddler, 4 preschoolers; as well as supervising 6 grade/junior/high school aged students while they did their school work) gave me a sarcastic, puppy eyes look while saying, "Seriously?! You're going to leave me here with all of these kids??" I very well could not. As it was, I didn't end up on the road till 1:00.

Anytime I travel, I do not like taking many breaks. My goal was to stop for gas, and go through Wendy's drive-thru. I ran into very little traffic and pulled into Chesterton around 7:30. It was an uneventful trip, which I'm quite thankful for. Too many people were having cows left and right; I'm glad God kept me safe :)

I stayed with my friend Recce and we filled our days with lots of last minute shopping and planning.

Friday I went with her to work. She baby-sat an adorable young boy. We fed him, played with him, gave him a bath, held him--he was spoiled that day! But, he was very good--and it was Recce's last

Friday night, we joined our guys for a fun time at a local pizza place and then visited Lake Michigan. What can I say? The food was good, the fellowship great--we had a marvelous time =)

Saturday, we shopped. All day. We had Nursing Home ministry until 11ish, had lunch around noon, and then headed to store after store. I don't think I've shopped that much in one day in all my life! We got good deals and found most of what we needed.

Sunday, I had an exceptionally good time since I got to ride on my old bus route. It was good to see many of the same children and make new friends. I even had a chance to witness to a teen boy.

The rest of the week was a countdown until the BIG DAY. On Tuesday, We had a bridal party planned for close friends. Our night was filled with stories, games and food. It was good for all of us to get together.

Wednesday was rehearsal. Tables were set, decorations laid out, lighting fixed--the room was beautiful. But before we could partake of the food--we had to practice walking up the aisle. It didn't go too bad. I was nervous--why? I'm not sure, it wasn't me getting married! Just the same, I was glad when we were finished. Time to eat! A man in the church, who is an awesome chef, had put together homemade chicken noodle soup, individual meatloaf, garlic mashed potatoes and mixed vegetables. Dessert was a pretty yellow cake with pineapples and whipped topping. We were very full!

Thursday we went to the graduation rehearsal to get pictures of our graduating friends. That was all morning, and then the actual graduation service later that night. Celebrations went on until past midnight.

Friday morning dawned bright and early. There was a forecast of rain, but we were hoping that it would stop by afternoon. Recce and I, along with another friend, went to get our nails done. The excitement was mounting as we headed to church for pictures around 1. Once the guys were through with their pictures and had left the building, it was our turn!

By 4:00, Recce was starting to get nervous. And then we all got nervous. So, we started talking to get our minds off of what was coming. Still as 5:00, than 6:00 rolled around excitement and nerves heightened as we hear people in the foyer. 6:25--ahhh!! Time to line up for our walk down. We saw the Preacher and guys come out of the side door and walk to their post. At precisely 6:30, the mother of the bride was walked down--and the guys pulled the white carpet out for us. It was our turn! The pianist and organist started playing Canon as each of the bridesmaids and flower girl walked down. Now the moment had come. As strains of the Bridal March came from the organ, my good friend Recce walked down on her dad's arm. She was so beautiful and radiant. After that everything was a blur to me. I remember walking up on the platform, and having a great urge to stretch my legs. But I didn't move a muscle for I knew anything I did would be noticed--and that was the last thing I wanted!! All of a sudden, vows were being said (I must say, although Recce was quiet--she did say them with feeling:) and then they were kissing (I did chuckle at that:) and Preacher announced them to the crowd. Then we were free! All the nerves dissipated as soon we walked off the stage and the fun began. The rest of the night was a blur of talking with guests and getting pictures.

It was a beautiful wedding and I was honored to be a part of the uniting of two very good friends.

No comments: