Pages

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

God's Mercies

Today I was thinking of the mercy of God. For many reasons, but one is because of this song:

Every morning that breaks there are mercies anew. Every breath that I take is your faithfulness proved, and at the end of each day, when my labors are through, I will sing of your mercies anew.
When I've fallen and strayed, there were mercies anew. For you sought me in love and my heart you pursued. In the face of my sin, Lord, You never withdrew. So I sing of your mercies anew.
And Your mercies they will never end; for ten thousand years they remain. And when this world's beauty has passed away, Your mercies will be unchanged.
And when the storms swirl and rage, there are mercies anew. In affliction and pain, You will carry me through. And at the end of my days, when your throne fills my view, I will sing of your mercies anew. I will sing of your mercies anew.
Also, because in my devotions I read Psalm 136. We are to thank God--simply, because His mercy endureth forever. The chapter recounts Creation, the Great Israelite Exodus, and how God took care of the needs of His people in the wilderness--whether it was giving them food and water or protecting them from the kings who wanted to take advantage of them.
Although the chapter ends at that, God's mercy has continued through the generations. It has continued in my life. Webster's 1828 defines mercy as: that benevolence, mildness or tenderness of heart which disposes a person to overlook injuries, or to treat an offender better than he deserves; the disposition that tempers justice, and induces an injured person to forgive trespasses and injuries, and to forbear punishment, or inflict less than law or justice will warrant. In this sense, there is perhaps no word in our language precisely synonymous with mercy. That which comes nearest to it is grace. It implies benevolence, tenderness, mildness, pity or compassion, and clemency, but exercised only towards offenders. Mercy is a distinguishing attribute of the Supreme Being.
God was merciful to me when He extended the gift of salvation. He was merciful when He guided my steps to Fairhaven. He showed His mercy through lessons and chastisement when I sinned--and then in His forgiveness. He was merciful to place people in my life who gave me sound counsel--and the friends that I made. His mercy is evident in the direction my life has taken. But for the grace and mercy of God, where would I be today?
Lamentations 3:18-26
And I said, My strength and my hope is perished from the LORD: Remembering mine affliction and my misery, the wormwood and the gall. My soul hath them still in remembrance, and is humbled in me. This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the LORD'S mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassion's fail not. They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness. The LORD is my portion, saith my soul; therefore will I hope in him. The LORD is good unto them that wait for him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD.

No comments: