Pages

Friday, September 10, 2010

Lest We Forget

~Lest We Forget~


Tomorrow is the ninth anniversary of the tragic events that happened on September 11, 2001; I was 15 years old. Being from Canada, I didn't hear of the news until I went to school that day. I remember sitting in my chair, a hush over the whole room. Young and immature as we were, the whole class knew something big had happened. We saw our teacher's face filled with grief over the happenings in her native country. We heard as her voice broke over telling us that the Twin Towers had been crashed into by hijackers. I'm sure we didn't fully realize what had happened; I know I didn't. We did understand, though, that our teacher was hurt over the circumstances of that day. As the day progressed, our teacher kept us informed with what she knew. Through it all, I remember the peace in her voice as she told us that God was still in control. It didn't matter that we didn't understand how things like this could happen; God in His sovereignty knew and we just needed to rest in Him.
As the years have passed, I've read about the heroic efforts of Americans and people all over the world who selflessly gave of their time, energy, and money and have come to understand a little bit more of the events surrounding 9/11. There are times when my mind can't grasp the horrendous accounts and I am reminded of my teacher's words that day not long ago: God is in control; rest in Him.



No comments: