Pages

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Thoughts On A Tuesday

Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them. Psalm 119:165

During my four  years of college, I heard this verse often in dorm devotions. Invariably it happened close to the end of the semesters and the girls would be at odds with each other. Girls were antsy to get out of school; making mad attempts to get projects done by deadlines; cramming a semester's worth of notes for five different classes for finals; late nights...early mornings; making sure dorm/room jobs are done...all this made for some short tempers and crabby people. It was pretty ugly at times.

And then, our dorm Mom knew just what we needed in devotions: Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them. I don't remember everything that was said, but one thought that kept recurring was to make sure you start your day with devotions...if you are right with God, it will be hard not to be right with fellow Christians. God's Word purifies; the closer you draw to Him, the closer He will come to you. The closer we get to God, the more we will be offended at what God finds offensive: sin as defined in His Word.

When I don't take the time to read my Bible as I ought, I find myself being critical and finding fault with others. I find myself getting irritated at the such petty things. Seeing this verse on my rip-a-page calender brought many thoughts and memories to mind. I'm so thankful for little 'reminders' God sends our way to open our eyes and get us to think--and change.

1 comment:

Sharon Diedrich said...

Good reminder, and so true! Thank you!