Pages

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Prices

In my devotions this week, I read Matthew 26 and verses 14-16 caught my eye. I have been contemplating them, and I still cannot get my brain wrapped around them.

Then one of the twelve, called Judas Iscariot, went unto the chief priests, And said unto them, What will ye give me, and I will deliver him unto you? And they covenanted with him for thirty pieces of silver. And from that time he sought opportunity to betray him.

Do you know what the price of slaves were in Bible times? 30 pieces of silver. JESUS was sold for the price of a SLAVE. Although God in the flesh, the high priests and Judas probably haggled over His worth. They deemed His life to be no more worthy than that of a slave. He who owns the cattle on a thousand hills; He who left all of Heaven's glory; He who is MORE worthy than words can describe: was sold for 30 pieces of silver. Do you realize, truly realize, just how much Jesus loves you? Do you realize what He went through so that He could redeem your soul and mine? To be thought as a "nobody" when He was the greatest "Somebody"; To be stripped of dignity...He went through that and so much more; for me. For you.

 As I was reading, a song that two dear ladies would sing in my childhood church came to mind. Unfortunately, I remember only the chorus, and even then, I think I'm missing a couple lines. Still, the message is there.

Thirty pieces of silver, was the price they paid.
Thirty pieces of silver, just the price of a slave.
And I know just how much He loved me--
By the price He paid.

Here is a rendition I found online:

Tis a sad but true story


From the Bible it came

And it tells us how Judas

Sold the Savior in shame

He planned with the council

Of high priest that day

30 pieces of silver

Was the price they would pay



30 pieces of silver

30 shekels of shame

Was the price paid for Jesus

On the cross he was slain

Betrayed and forsaken

Unloved and unclaimed

In anger they pierced him

But he died not in VAIN

Twas on there on the hillside

The multitude came

And found our dear Savior

Then took him away

They bruised Him and mocked Him

Thorns were crowned around his head

And his garment of purple

Showed the blood stains of red



Far off in the mountains with his face towards the sun

Judas begged mercy for what he had done

He gave back the silver

For his heart filled with strife

Then there in the mountain he took his own life 

1 comment:

Knightly Krafts said...

Here is the song on You Tube... I've searched everywhere for the lyrics but can't find them and the Hank Williams lyrics seems to be the most popular. Just thought you might be interested. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fRllfcvDH8&feature=related