Pages

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Food for Thought

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent.
~John Donne


Recently I heard about the passing of one of God's Saints. My mind instantly thought about his family and how they were dealing with their loss. And then, I thought about the ministries he was involved in. It is quite extensive dealing not only in North America, but internationally as well. The church I grew up in was able to be a part of the ministry through the printing of his books as well as having him speak. In fact, just this past year, this Man of God preached at the church and at our Family Camp. I may have not met him personally, but I know that his life and ministry had far-reaching effects and that he has left behind a worthy legacy for his family and also for those he ministered to.

I have not been to many funerals--I could probably count them on one hand. And, of those only one affected me personally and I knew, in some small way, what it meant to grieve for a loved one.  Just this morning I read in Psalm 116:15 "Precious in the sight of the LORD is the death of his saints." and I know God welcomes each of His children with open arms.

I think about what the things I will leave behind. How have I affected the people around me? The students I teach during the school week--how are they going to remember their kindergarten Teacher? Will they remember me as the one who prayed and loved them with all her heart? Or the one who was always frustrated and snapped at them. How will my Sunday School students view me? Someone who invested time, energy, and even money into their lives? Or someone who just went through the motions and had no real fervor to teach them the things of God? What about my friends--can they say that I was one who "sharpened" as it says to do in Proverbs? Or did I passively stand by and worry more about not "rocking the boat" than helping my friend to stay right with the Lord. It doesn't end there--anyone I come in contact with, I will leave an impression on. Will I be remembered as one who strived to live for God? As a warm, caring person interested in the needs of others? Passionate about seeing lost souls brought to the Savior Who died for them? If God were to call me home today, what will I leave behind?

I am going to leave something behind--a legacy. The question is, what kind of legacy.


“Two little lines I heard one day,Traveling along life’s busy way;



Bringing conviction to my heart, And from my mind would not depart;


Only one life, ’twill soon be past, Only what’s done for Christ will last.






Only one life, yes only one, Soon will its fleeting hours be done;


Then, in ‘that day’ my Lord to meet, And stand before His Judgement seat;


Only one life,’twill soon be past, Only what’s done for Christ will last.






Only one life, the still small voice, Gently pleads for a better choice


Bidding me selfish aims to leave, And to God’s holy will to cleave;


Only one life, ’twill soon be past, Only what’s done for Christ will last.






Only one life, a few brief years, Each with its burdens, hopes, and fears;


Each with its clays I must fulfill, living for self or in His will;


Only one life, ’twill soon be past, Only what’s done for Christ will last.






When this bright world would tempt me sore, When Satan would a victory score;


When self would seek to have its way, Then help me Lord with joy to say;


Only one life, ’twill soon be past, Only what’s done for Christ will last.






Give me Father, a purpose deep, In joy or sorrow Thy word to keep;


Faithful and true what e’er the strife, Pleasing Thee in my daily life;


Only one life, ’twill soon be past, Only what’s done for Christ will last.






Oh let my love with fervor burn, And from the world now let me turn;


Living for Thee, and Thee alone, Bringing Thee pleasure on Thy throne;


Only one life, “twill soon be past, Only what’s done for Christ will last.






Only one life, yes only one, Now let me say,”Thy will be done”;


And when at last I’ll hear the call, I know I’ll say “twas worth it all”;


Only one life,’twill soon be past, Only what’s done for Christ will last. ”


C.T Studd

No comments: