Pages

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

First Project!

Ok, so technically, I've already made this project for Christmas gifts. But we're not here to argue technicalities, right? Just celebrating the fact that I actually can start and finish something "crafty"--anything besides reading.

Anyway, the credit of this particular project belongs to a lady in my church who makes the cutest things. For Christmas, she gave me a pair of pink fuzzy socks, and they came uniquely packaged (this is from Google Image; I forgot to take a picture of mine)


Isn't it cute? And you can do it for baby showers, birthday presents, Christmas gifts, teacher gifts...A gift that is usable AND comes in a pretty package. Good deal, don't you think?

The other gift she gave me was a post-it message holder:


I like it so much that I wanted to make one for my office and one to use in my classroom. It doesn't hurt that it gives me a easy intro to projects :)

You will need:
Picture frames {I used Mainstays from Wal-Mart; I used the 6x4 in and 5x3.5 in}
Post-it notes {any color}
Scrapbooking paper
Clear pens {I use Pentel RSVP}
Flower embellishments
Velcro attachments {circle}

{Post-it notes not pictured}

First, I take the paper out of the frame and trace it onto my scrapbook paper--design side down--and cut it out.


Slide it into the frame.




Next, cut a 3.5 in rectangular piece of the same paper. Curve up the sides of the paper to overlap them; next fit it in the unscrewed pen. Screw the pen back on, making sure the paper says overlapped. If it doesn't screw on, cut off a little bit until it does.



 




Next position your embellishments in the corner of the frame, and your post-it note centered to them. Like so:


I don't use the Velcro attachments {primarily because I have pens everywhere, and grab one as needed.} but you can put one above the post-it note with its partner on your pen. This way, you never lose your pen :) Neat idea, huh?




{This is the 6x4 in.}


 

{Final Project}




I'm sure there are a lot of spin-offs you could do; it would be neat to see what other people come up with.
 
As for me, I'm a little bit proud of what I was able to do for minimal cost and still have something that looks cute :)