Pages

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Soldiers...Of Christ

During our Sunday night services, we have been going through the book of Hebrews. We are currently in the "Chapter of Faith" and tonight, Pastor's dad taught on the "Cost of Faith".

It was really good to be reminded--and challenged--of the thousands of men and women and even children who have died for their faith--to be reminded of our Baptist Distinctives. I remember reading Fox's Book of Martyrs as a child, and being horrified at what they had to go through.

I realize now, just how spoiled I am. How "good" I have it being in a country that has religious freedoms {for the time being}.

I am truly thankful for our "rights" to worship God how we ought, but sometimes {especially after tonight's message} I wonder if some persecution wouldn't be good for me; for us as Christians. To cause us to be on fire for God, instead of living apathetically.

Just how would I respond, if persecution came my way? How would you?

Isaac Watts knew it well when he penned these words:

Am I a Soldier of the Cross

Am I a soldier of the cross? A foll'wer of the Lamb?
And shall I fear to own His cause, or blush to speak His name?

Must I be carried to the skies on flow'ry beds of ease,
While others fought to win the prize and sailed through bloody seas.

Are there no foes for me to face? Must I not stem the flood?
Is this vile world a friend to grace, to help me on to God?

Sure I must fight if I would reign--increase my courage, Lord!
I'll bear the toil, endure the pain, supported by Thy Word.

Endure hardness as a good soldier of Jesus Christ--2 Timothy 2:3

1 comment:

Kristi said...

I remember reading Fox's Book of Martyrs as a child also. It was my dad's and sits on my bookshelf now.

I often hear the word "persecuted" used of people around here that are being talked about because of them taking a stand and how it has hurt their feelings. That is not persecution to me.

I am reminded of the second verse to the song, This Blessed Old Book:
When I think what it cost just to hold in my hand, it reminds me I owe a great debt, to all of the martyrs who've gone to the stake, and quoted with their dying breath...Well, its critics are many and believers are few, but there's one thing I've found to be true, if you find when you read it that there's something wrong, then there's something wrong with you.

I'm sure you're enjoying the study. I hope you share more.

~Kristi