Pages

Friday, April 15, 2011

Feasting Friday's

A couple weeks ago, I bought some Betty Crocker mashed potato flakes for a really good deal. I set out to make some when I realized I had run out of milk. {I only keep 1/2 a gallon of white milk for cooking purposes}.

I decided to see if sour cream would be a good substitute. It turned out smooth and creamy; however, I put too much in it and the potatoes had an exceptionally sour taste. I had an instinctive gut feeling not to put the rest of the sour cream in, but I didn't want to waste it, and I didn't have enough to use it in any other recipe.

I should have just gone with my instinct.

Anyway, this morning I tried to fix my mistake and make the potatoes at least palatable. I heated them on the stovetop, added milk, water and a new packet of potato flakes. I gave it a good stir, added a couple sticks of butter, salt and pepper. It tasted fine, but still seemed to be missing something.

That's when I decided I would make Shepherd's Pie. I already had a pound of ground beef thawed out, and my potato topping ready to go! I would just have to slice and dice up some vegetables and I would have a hearty meal for this cold, blustery, rainy day. Perfect.

The only problem is, when I got back to my house {I was at school working} Marsh and I started talking and next thing I knew it was 8:30. Way too late to put together a SP! As well as bake and eat it!

So, I thought and thought about something to make that would be easy, quick, and delicious. I came up with:

!!ELePhANt eArS!!

I had some leftover tortilla shells, so I fried some up in about an inch of vegetable oil. When they turned golden brown, I shook them out a little to remove excess oil. I placed them on a plate; sprinkled them with a sugar/cinnamon mixture and enjoyed them while they were still hot. Marsh ate some too and she loved them :)

Alas, I did not have my camera, so I do not have any pictures. BUT, we're having a special day in our class on Monday, and I will be making them again!



PS. It wasn't the most nutritional supper, but it sure tasted good! ;)

No comments: