Pages

Friday, June 10, 2011

The Story

As most of my readers know me in real life, many know that I moved back to Canada.

You all know that I taught kindergarten in the Northwoods of Wisconsin for the last two years, and have come to love and appreciate the students as well as the church people. There are so many lessons that God taught me throughout my time there. There are so many blessings that God bestowed on me because the people were willing to be used of Him. One of my biggest regrets from being down {actually UP because my city is south of the little town I taught in!} there is that I didn't get to spend more time with the people. I regret that I didn't take given opportunities to get over my shyness and establish deep relationships. I regret "hiding" up in my classroom on potluck days. Don't ask me why, because even I don't understand it--I could just never bring myself to go in. In my defense {not that it's very strong}, I planned on being there for at least 5 years. So, I thought I had plenty to time to get to know people and so forth.

Boy was I wrong. Now, I'm left with regrets. I'm left wistfully thinking how nice it would have been for me to lose my shyness and had gotten to know the people a lot better. I'm so thankful for the "instant" means of interaction with my friends--in this way, I know that lost time will be made up....and who knows, maybe I'll have visitors up here in Canada!

For those of you who don't know, the short version of my story is: I was in the States for 2 years trying to process the right paperwork, but unable to complete it. The lawyer I was working with told me that because I had been in the States past the 6 month window, I would be banned from re-entering for 10 years. A whole incredibly long decade. While I am not completely without hope that I might be able to find something out at the Immigration office here in Canada, things do look pretty bleak right now.

Some have asked me why? I could go into a whole bunch of "if" scenarios , but really in the end, it would change nothing. Also, while I place no blame on God because all mistakes are my own, God DOES indeed know that all of this would happen. Could I have prevented it? Perhaps so; but, I can only learn from this experience and move on with God wants me to do now. And though things did not work out how I wanted it, I am so thankful for the opportunity I had to serve Him in the Great Northwoods.

No comments: