Pages

Thursday, June 23, 2011

What's So Different?

One of the biggest things I've noticed since coming back home is noise--in the form of little and not so little bodies running around the house and parents admonishing; and the constant sound of traffic, including trains, just a hop, skip, and jump from my house.

I'm a morning person. I just love the early quiet of the day, free of all noise except the cheerful greeting of birds. I had a roommate one time who talked from the moment she woke up, to the moment she fell asleep. Let me just say I really enjoyed working in the kitchen that year because most of my mornings were talk-free. And really, I didn't mind listening to people talk after 7, so I don't think I was being an ogre....5 was just too early for conversation.

Anyway, I have veered off my point a bit. Oh yes, kids = noise. I admit I was a bit spoiled with my mornings, especially after I roomed with Marsh. Now, I'm reminded of my roommate....my siblings seem to have a gift for words leaving their mouths even before they are fully awake. And, I don't know how they manage it, but they also fall asleep talking. Like right now, my niece and youngest sister, Heyab, are telling childish stories and singing Sunday School songs.

Even though I don't get the early morning solitude very much anymore, I wouldn't trade it for the love I see in their eyes and hear in their voices. I wouldn't trade it for the giggles and laughs I hear throughout the day...and even into the night. I wouldn't trade it for the hugs good-bye, and ones on my return. When you are showered with sweetness {most of the time} how can you wish anything different?

And if you do want some moments of quiet....play the Quiet Game--it works wonders :)

No comments: