Pages

Monday, August 15, 2011

Monday Moments {A Trip to the Farm}

My Mum is a huge fan of healthy eating and organic foods. Only about 10% of the foods we eat comes from the grocery store.

Most of the foods we get comes from a farm about thirty minutes away from us. Angela and my Mum have known each other for 7 or 8 years and have formed a pretty good friendship. Angela usually comes to our house on Wednesday mornings to deliver goods after which she and Mum will have a cup of tea and discuss different topics.

Angela invited us out to her farm today so we made a day of it. We packed up most of the kids and arrived about mid-morning. Angela has two German shepherds--one is a purebred, and the other a Husky mix.

Dogs always run to greet newcomers, and these girls were no different. Only problem, most of us in my family are not too keen about animals. My philosophy is: as babies--great...once they grow up, I enjoy them from a distance. I prefer not to have dogs or cats rub against me; I do not like petting or playing with them; I don't want them jumping on me; I think that animals belong outside....our family has never had pets, so I suppose some people might think these views come a deprived person, but still. I will admire your pet from afar :)

My Mum opened the door on the passenger side, so I opened the rear door on the driver's side to let all the kids out. I learned something today. I learned that Ruth is absolutely T.E.R.R.I.F.I.E.D of dogs. The minute she got out and the dogs came over she climbed back in the van SO fast. She only came out with her arms wrapped around my neck and her legs hoisted up around my waist--far away from any snapping jaws!

The dogs soon went across their driveway into the field nearby, so I put Ruth down thinking she was pretty safe. Wrong! They were back in a flash and Ruth just started screaming and shaking like you wouldn't believe. Poor girl...she wasn't used to the dogs the whole time we were there, but she did get to the point where she didn't shimmy up the nearest person and hold them in a death grip and scream her head off whenever she saw the dogs.

Later, when Mum told her it was time for bed, she kept trying to tell us something. She started crying and refused to go in her room. I guessed that she might be trying to say dog, or perhaps that's what she was remembering since she did have a traumatic experience earlier in the day! So Mum walked over to the room and sure enough that's what Ruth was talking about. There was a big suitcase on the bed and to Ruth, in the darkened room, it seemed like an animal. Mum quickly reassured her, but I'm sure the memory will stay with her for a long time!

On a sad note, my camera died. I don't know what's wrong with it or what happened, but I'm officially in the market for a new camera. I've been reviewing/talking about the pros and cons of different makes...namely Cannon or Nikon. I have a Cannon that uses film, which I absolutely love; and my present Nikon...which is alright, but definitely not as loved as Cannon. So, right now I'm leaning more towards a Cannon. We'll see!

No comments: