Pages

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Song of the Week & Blessings

During the announcement time of our evening service, our church takes a few moments to share blessings they received from their personal devotions, an answer to prayer, or a testimony.

This week I was reading through the beginning of Psalms--one of my favorite books--when verse 4 of chapter 16 caught my eye:

"Their sorrows shall be multiplied that hasten after another god"

This verse is talking about a god may have been built of wood or stone. We see in the time of Israel, especially during the time of the Judges, how they would forsake the true God and follow after the powerless gods made by the heathen hands around them. Then they would experience multiplied sorrows as they became subject to the different powers during that time period.

Throughout the book of Judges, we notice a cycle of the children of Israel following God and then going after strange gods. Once they were fed up with the emptiness that comes from following anyone/thing except the God of heaven, they would lift up their voices and weep for mercy and deliverance.

And God would graciously forgive and deliver them from their enemies.

I thought about now: I may not have an idol made from wood or stone sitting in my living room, but I can have other things that take the place of God in my life. It made me pause and think about what I'm following after and what fills my life. Am I following after gods that just bring an emptiness to my heart and life? The sorrows that will multiply as a result of not having God first in my life--is it worth it?

I continued reading and came to the last verse in this chapter:

"Thow wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore."

Being in God's presence--having Him FIRST in our lives--brings us joy. At His right hand, we have pleasures for evermore. There is a satisfaction, a joy, in putting God first. Have you noticed a restlessness and dissatisfaction when you let your personal walk with God slide?

I have. And this verse has been such a challenge and blessing to me this week to always, ALWAYS, keep God number 1 in my life. I'm thankful for the mercy He shows me when I fail.

I love the following song about the mercy of God. It is such a blessing and reminder of what God does for me every time I listen to it. I hope it will be the same for you.

Every morning that breaks there are mercies anew. Every breath that I take is your faithfulness proved, and at the end of each day, when my labors are through, I will sing of your mercies anew.

When I've fallen and strayed, there were mercies anew. For you sought me in love and my heart you pursued. In the face of my sin, Lord, You never withdrew. So I sing of your mercies anew.

And Your mercies they will never end; for ten thousand years they remain. And when this world's beauty has passed away, Your mercies will be unchanged.

And when the storms swirl and rage, there are mercies anew. In affliction and pain, You will carry me through. And at the end of my days, when your throne fills my view, I will sing of your mercies anew. I will sing of your mercies anew.

No comments: