Pages

Thursday, August 28, 2014

Thursday Treats: No-Cook Chocolate Fudge {Betty Crocker}




My friend Deb loves fudge more than any other dessert or sweet. She has a favourite recipe, but doesn't like baking very much--enter Elsa. This was the first time I made fudge, and wanted to test some recipes, so I began with this simple one from Betty Crocker's book. Her fiance really loved the book variation, but Deb swooned when she tried my second batch with my adjustments. Crocker's fudge is pretty good...but it lacked the richness and creamy smoothness of what you expect from fudge [my variations were an improvement, but I'm still on the search for great fudge!]. To me, it tasted like glorified semi-sweet chocolate chips. However, I did like her recipe in that you could eat more than just one tiny square and not get sick :D

I would say that this is a great first-timer's recipe to follow, but to me the taste didn't scream "FUDGE!". You decide!

No-Cook Chocolate Fudge
Betty Crocker Cookbook: 1500 Recipes for the Way You Cook Today
Betty Crocker
[Blue changes my modifications]

1 can [14 oz] sweetened condensed milk
1 bag [12 oz/2 cups] semisweet chocolate chips
[1+1/2 cups milk chocolate chips + 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips]
1 oz unsweetened baking chocolate, if desired
[Left out]
1 +1/2 cups chopped nuts, if desired
[Left out b/c Deb doesn't like nuts in her fudge, but would've used toasted pecan pieces.]
1 tsp vanilla

1. Grease bottom and sides of an 8-inch square pan with butter.

2. In a saucepan, heat the condensed milk, chocolate chips, and unsweetened chocolate over low heat, stirring constantly, until chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth; remove from heat.

3. Quickly stir in the nuts and vanilla. Spread the fudge in the pan. Refrigerate about 1 hour and 30 minutes or until firm. Cut into 1-inch squares. Store in an airtight container.


No comments: