Pages

Friday, March 18, 2011

Feasting Friday's {DIY Chicken Strips}

This week's dish is based off of Pioneer Woman's Homemade Chicken Strips. I'm always forgetting to have all the necessary ingredients though, so mine is a little bit different from hers. Plus, I have this little habit of deviating from written recipes. Sometimes the end result is quite interesting. Anyway, to get the original recipe, click on the link above.

PW's recipe uses buttermilk and since I don't have that on hand, I googled substitutes. In 2 cups of milk, I put in about two tablespoons of hot and spicy pickle juice and one tablespoon of lemon juice. While that sat, I worked with 3 good-sized frozen chicken breasts which I partially thawed out. I rinsed, dried, and cut them into strips. I then placed them in a bowl, and poured about one and half cups of the buttermilk so they could soak. In another bowl, I combined about one and half cups of flour, garlic powder, cayenne powder, salt and pepper. After mixing thoroughly, I added half a cup of buttermilk and lightly mixed with a fork. I think I might have put too much in because it became rather clumpy, so next time I'll probably just use one fourth of a cup.
When the mixture was ready, I breaded all my strips and placed them on a plate. I didn't have vegetable oil on hand, so I just used olive oil. I fried the strips up, and although they weren't a deep golden color {because of the oil?} they did taste really good with my homemade dipping sauce sauce.








Tomorrow, I'll chop up the strips and make Chicken Cesar Salad. Yum!

No comments: