Pages

Monday, January 13, 2014

Monday Moments: My Love of Cookbooks:::Betty Crocker:::

Now, I have a lot of cookbooks. My mom tells me I have too much; I say you can never have too many books and in my humble opinion, cookbooks are in a class all on their own. I love reading through cookbooks. My Nana Jane started me going when she gave me the Taste of Home Annual Cookbook for Christmas when I was 14.

{{{Those brownies on that gorgeous cake stand {{love those too and anything yellow :)} are SO good. Those were the first things I made from my cookbook :D}}}}

It was my favourite gift that year! I curled up on my bed and read the different entries. I loved looking at the pictures. Ooohing and aahhing over the many delicious looking and sounding recipes...and skipping over the ones that sounded...oh, groossss!!! not so appetizing. I read it cover to cover and then savoured my favourite parts: read anything to do with baking delicious desserts :)

Since that Christmas on, I have acquired a great deal of wonderful cookbooks. Mostly on baking because I like to cook by throwing in a little bit of this and that :) And, the fact that it's only me eating supper isn't a huge motivator to cook...especially since I've always been accustomed to making enough to feed a crowd of at least 10. I love to bake though, and I really want to cook/bake through my books. And where else to chronicle my journey but through this here ol' blog of mine?

These cupcakes are a classic. I love this recipe because you dump everything in your mixer, mix, bake, and frost. Very simple. And delicious...as long as you don't over-bake them ;)



Chocolate Layer Cake
Betty Crocker Cookbook

2+1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1+2/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
1+1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
1+1/4 cups water
3/4 cup butter, softened
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla

1. Heat oven to 350. Grease bottom and sides of  2 round pans {8 or 9 inch} with shortening {I've used butter} and lightly flour.

2. In large bowl, beat all ingredients with a mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping constantly. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Pour into pans.

3. Bake pans for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool pans for 10 minutes and then invert onto a cooling rack.

4. Fill and frost with your choice of frosting!

*Make sure you just use the baking time as a guideline. Use your eyes and nose to test for done-ness. The cake/cupcakes can get very dry if you don't pay attention. Also, make sure you know where your hotspots are in your oven. I always rotate my baking halfway through cooking time to ensure an even baked goodie.*

No comments: