Pages

Saturday, January 4, 2014

Snickerdoodles


Now, my personal choice of cookies is chocolate chip. I could eat those ALL day. But, my boss and friend, Silvana, tries to stay away from chocolate because they're a trigger for her migraines.


I've been varying my baked goods to include some non-chocolate items. These snickerdoodles fit the bill.


They are crispy around the edges and have puffy, soft centers. They've got big butter flavour {use the best butter!} and the perfect amount of sweetness and spice. I've tried several different recipes from different cookbooks and can't say I've noticed too much of a difference. However, this is my favourite recipe because it doesn't include shortening, but is all-butter. :D Oh, and I just love Joanne Chang's cookbook, Flour, which this particular recipe is from. I've tried several of her spectacular goodies--bannana bread, and most recently Milk Chocolate-Hazelnut Cookies as well as her Ginger-Molasses Cookies--and I'm totally in love.


Snickerdoodles
Flour by Joanne Chang
{My changes in Blue}

1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1+1/2 cups sugar, plus 1/2 for coating
2 eggs
2+1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp kosher salt {I just use table salt}
2 tsps cream of tarter
1/4 cup ground cinnamon
{For my coating mixture, I just use about 1/4 cup of sugar and a couple heaping teaspoons of cinnamon. I don't like keeping extra sugar mixture around, but make more each time I make a batch of these cookies.}

1. Using a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and 1+1/2 cups sugar on medium speed for about 5 minutes, or until the mixture is light and fluffy. Stop the mixer a few times and use a rubber spatula to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl and the paddle to release any clinging butter or sugar. Beat in the eggs on medium speed for 2-3 minutes, or until thoroughly combined. Scrape the bowl and paddle again to make sure the eggs are thoroughly incorporated.

2. In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, and cream of tarter. On low speed, slowly blend the flour mixture into the butter-sugar mixture and then mix just until the flour is totally incorporated and the dough is evenly mixed.

3. For the best results {Although, they do taste just fine if baked right away, if you have the time, follow this step!} scrape the dough into an airtight container and let it rest in the refrigerator overnight, or  for 3-4 hours before baking. When ready to bake, position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 350 degrees F {I like to keep my temps at 325 degrees. For my oven, this just seems to work better.}

4. In a small bowl, mix together the remaining 1/2 sugar and the cinnamon. Drop the dough by rounded tablespoons {I use a small ice cream scoop} into the cinnamon-sugar mixture and roll to coat. Place the coated balls of dough on a baking sheet, spacing them about 3 inches apart. Flatten each ball slightly with the palm of your hand.

5. Bake for 15-18 minutes {I let mine bake for 12-15 minutes}, or until the cookies are golden brown on the edges and lightly soft in the center. Let cool on the bvaking sheet on a wire rack for 5-10 minutes, then transfer the cookies to the rack to cool completely.

6. The cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature up to 3 days. The unbaked dough may be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.

Enjoy!!



No comments: