Pages

Monday, July 4, 2011

Monday Moments: Celebrating Canada {A Canadian Alphabet}

A Canadian Alphabet
Written by Mike Ulmer
Adapted by Sue Fountain and Tracey Unger
{A School Play}

Moms and Dads, we welcome you,
Grandmas, Grandpas, Aunts and Uncles, too,
Brothers, Sisters,
Friends one and all.
To our special program
Which we call A Canadian Alphabet.
Our program is about Canada, our home and native land.
Our motto is from "sea to sea."
Our scenery is grand.
{This month} we celebrate this great place
That God established and preserves by His grace.



A is for Anne--that's Anne with an e, a redheaded orphan who loved Avonlea.
The Cuthberts had thought they were adopting a boy, but that redheaded girl would be their pride and joy.



A Soliloquy

Ah, yes, I am Lucy Maud Montgomery and in 1904, I remember writing in my journal: "Elderly couple apply to orphan asylum for a boy. by mistake a girl is sent to them." A year later, I finished a book-length manuscript that was rejected by five different publishers. Finally four years later I secured a publisher and Anne of Green Gables became a bestseller, reprinted six times in its first five months. "The dream dreamed years ago at that old brown desk in school has come true at last, after years of toil and struggle."
In addition to my Anne books, I wrote poetry and a trilogy of books on Emily whose story was based closely on my own life. I am only one of many Canadians that God has used to write the history of our country.

No comments: